When someone suspects their dog has gotten a hold of a poisonous item, they will need to watch their symptoms very carefully. If a dog eats something poisonous, it is best to bring them to an Animal Medical Center right away to have an evaluation done. If time is of the essence, a call should be made to the facility beforehand as they may be able to offer information on how to handle the incident before heading to get care for the dog. The care could then be administered from home in an attempt to get the ball rolling on removing the substance from the dog’s stomach.
When calling the veterinarian for help, make sure to have the package on hand. They may ask what ingredients were contained in the poisonous item, so they know what advice to give in having it removed. Let them know how much is missing from the package as well as this will also be important in knowing how legal the poison may be.
If the dog is unresponsive or has labored breathing, get to the hospital immediately. Someone can call the facility from the car if needed. This is an emergency situation as the dog may perish if it does not get help right away. If the dog is vomiting or has diarrhea, these are signs the body is trying to remove the substance from the body naturally. Alert the veterinarian on the phone to see what the next course of action should be. If the veterinarian says to induce vomiting, they will give instructions over the phone on how to do this properly. Some poisonous items require the dog does not vomit, however. It could cause distress to the respiratory system or the throat.
After listening to the instructions given, set out a soft blanket for the dog to rest upon in the vehicle. Place this on the seat and have someone available to sit with the dog as it is transported to an Animal Medical Center. Companionanimalcare.com can be looked at for further information on what to do in an emergency. This is a great site for information on this topic. You can also connect them on Facebook for more updates.